May 31, 2012
- Glass frosting spray (Disregard if you already have a frosted jar)
- A flip-top canning jar (make sure the top is NOT frosted—that's how the solar panel charges)
- Clear adhesive (packing tape, glue)
- Any solar light—the simpler, the better for taking apart (See Tap the Well for places to purchase them.)
Directions (These might sound confusing, but it's much easier than it sounds)
- Dissemble the jar, and set aside the top—you don't want to frost this; a clear top allows the solar panel to charge. Spray one coat on the jar and set aside to dry.
- Take the solar light and using a screw driver or a skinny chisel, gently pry the solar panel loose from the surrounding case. Take care to keep all wires intact and then discard the casing.
- You will be left with the solar panel (still connected to the battery, a small circuit board and the light sensor.)
- Place the solar panel (face up) and the battery, circuit board and light (face down) in the the hallow casing of the lid. Secure it with adhesive and allow to dry.
- Set this bad boy out in the sun for a few hours and it'll be ready to go at dusk!